Elm City United Methodist Church

History of Elm City United Methodist Church

Elm City United Methodist Church is a small church located in eastern portion of North Carolina.  The first church building was built in 1873 and was a small wooden structure built on the corner of Church and Parker streets.  By 1874, the congregation had outgrown this structure so a new lot was purchased and the second structure built on the corner of Church and Railroad streets.  This building sufficed until the late 1920’s when the congregation acquired a new lot on the corner of Parker and Nash streets.  This was the location of the third church and the existing location of the church today.  The church is one of several beautiful buildings located in the historical town of Elm City and has all the small town charm and grace of it's many years.  It is truly a wonderful place to worship. 

When the church formed in 1873, it was officially known as the Methodist Episcopal Church South. The designation “south” reflects the politics of the time surrounding the Civil War.  In 1939, the Methodist Church was formed from the different Methodist denominations.  In 1968, the wider church joined with the Evangelical United Church and became the Elm City United Methodist Church.  During a period of time in the early 1950’s the Elm City United Methodist Church was on a circuit with two other churches. It was in 1956, that the church became a stand alone station church of its own, under the pastorate of James Bailey.  Since 1873, fifty five ministers have served the church.  Currently the church has membership of approximately 225 members.  An additional praise and worship service at 8:45 a.m. was added in 2003 under the pastoral leadership of Stan Gallagher-Smith. 

Today, 137 years after the first church was formed, the Elm City United Methodist Church remains strong in its commitment to the ministry of God and service to our community.

 


ECUMC ~ PO Box 307 ~ 106 Parker Street, Elm City, NC
27822

Make a Free Website with Yola.